BINGHAMTON, NY – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team began its Mid-American Conference season on a high note Friday afternoon as the Bulls defeated Binghamton, 6-1. Buffalo improves to 6-4 on the season and 1-0 in conference play.
The Bulls won doubles matches at one and three, capped off by a sweep at third doubles as Tony Miller and Ethan Nittolo won, 6-0. Filip Grbic and Hao Sheng Koay won at first doubles, 6-2. Petr Vodak and Villhelm Fridell led 5-3 at second doubles when play was halted.
Buffalo took five of the six matches in singles play, including three of those in straight sets. Vidit Vaghela won at second singles, 6-3, 6-2, while Fridell picked up a 7-5, 6-1 victory at fourth singles. Nittolo also won in straight sets at six, 7-5, 6-1.
Grbic won his match at third singles, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2, while Vodak won at fifth singles, 6-3, 3-6, and then 10-3 in the super tiebreak. Binghamton won in a super tiebreaker at one.
"Overall I am pleased with our performance," said head coach Lee Nickell. "We played good doubles, and did a solid job of carrying that momentum into singles. I am looking forward to seeing a full team competitive effort tomorrow in singles against a very good Northern Illinois team."
The Bulls will remain in Binghamton, NY tomorrow where they will continue MAC play against the Northern Illinois Huskies at 2pm.
- Filip Grbic/Hao Sheng Koay (UB) def. Thomas Caputo/Kushaan Nath (BU), 6-2
- Petr Vodak/Villhelm Fridell (UB) led Ludovico Cestarollo/Inigo Saez (BU), 5-3
- Tony Miller/Ethan Nittolo (UB) def. Josh Druger/Valentin Bouchet (BU), 6-0
- Ludovico Cestarollo (BU) def. Hao Sheng Koay (UB), 6-7, 6-4, 10-3
- Vidit Vaghela (UB) def. Tiago Lourenco (BU), 6-3, 6-2
- Filip Grbic (UB) def. Kushaan Nath (BU), 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
- Villhelm Fridell (UB) def. Valentin Bouchet (BU), 7-5, 6-1
- Petr Vodak (UB) def. Thomas Caputo (BU), 6-3, 3-6, 10-3
- Ethan Nittolo (UB) def. Inigo Saez (BU), 7-5, 6-1