WILLIAMSVILLE, NY – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team won their 10th straight match on Sunday afternoon with an impressive 6-1 victory over Western Michigan. The Bulls improve to 13-3 on the year and 6-0 in MAC, the only unbeaten team in the league.
The Bulls won a tight doubles point to open the afternoon. Senior Tanja Stojanovska and sophomore Anna Savchenko won easily at two, 6-2, before Western Michigan came back with a 6-4 win at three. At first doubles, junior Chantal Martinez Blanco and senior Lolade Ogungbesan overcame a 3-0 deficit to win 7-5, giving the Bulls the early 1-0 lead.
UB won five of the six matches in singles action, including complete domination from the bottom half of the lineup. Junior Sanjana Sudhir dropped just one game in a 6-0, 6-1 win at five, while sophomore Emil Abibula also lost just one game in a 6-1, 6-0 victory at four. Junior Arianna Paules Aldrey won at sixth singles, 6-0, 6-2 as the Bulls clinched the match.
The top half of the lineup was closer as the top three singles matches all went three sets. Ogungbesan overcame a first-set loss to win 3-6, 6-0, 10-7. WMU came away with a win at two, but then the Bulls closed it out winning at one. Martinez Blanco won her opening set 6-3 before dropping the second 7-5. She came through in the super tiebreaker though in the third with a 10-4 win.
"I am really proud of the way this team competed as whole this afternoon," said head coach Kristen Maines. "Our doubles is improving and that showed with a strong showing today and I thought that carried us into singles across the board. This team is really goal-oriented and that was shown with our discipline both on and off the court."
The Bulls will head back on the road next Saturday when UB faces Akron at 1:00 pm. Depending on other results across the league; Buffalo can clinch a regular season title with a win over the Zips.
- Chantal Martinez Blanco/Lolade Ogungbesan (UB) def. Barbare Eristavi/Gabriela Slavova (WMU), 7-5
- Tanja Stojanovska/Anna Savchenko (UB) def. Denise Azcui/Jeryn Jack (WMU), 6-2
- Melina Lyuomirova/Valentina Sanchez Briend (WMU) def. Emel Abibula/Arianna Paules Aldrey (UB), 6-4
- Chantal Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Barbare Eristavi (WMU), 6-3, 5-7, 10-4
- Melina Lyuomirova (WMU) def. Tanja Stojanovska (UB), 1-6, 6-3, 10-8
- Lolade Ogungbesan (UB) def. Denise Azuci (WMU), 3-6, 6-0, 10-7
- Emel Abibula (UB) def. Jeryn Jack (WMU), 6-1, 6-0
- Sanjana Sudhir (UB) def. Gabriela Slavova (WMU), 6-0, 6-1
- Arianna Paules Aldrey (UB) def. Valentina Sanchez Briend (WMU), 6-0, 6-2